Thursday, May 27, 2010

The ALMIGHTY Cassette.

Remember these?  Realistically, it wasn't that long ago since we stop using them.  From a producer's standpoint, we played beats for people on these, and we mixed down songs to ultimately put them on tape.  It's funny to think now that whoever we played beats for had to have the patience to sit through us fast-forwarding to the next track, or rewinding to hear something again.  Sure, some had hi-tech players that would actually "skip" to the next song, but they weren't in abundance. 

Do we just THROW them away?  Will we EVER be able to convert all of these digitally as we planned?  There is such a strong, deep (pause- pun intended), sentimental connection that we have with our cassettes.  With each one, we remember: 1) who we dubbed it from; 2) sitting in front of the radio while we recorded, and the work it took to pause.....making sure we kept the commercials out (oddly enough, I wish I kept more commercials for the sake of nostalgia).

This is yet another issue that plagues us.  There are things on some of these cassettes that only WE have, and it desperately needs to be preserved.  I still have BOXES upon BOXES of tapes left.  And as long as they keep calling mixes on CDs "mixtapes", they still have a place in our lives, and the right to be preserved.

3 comments:

  1. I was on twitter when a friend started a topic about what was everyones first CD. She is 25 and I knew that I am in a different age range now LOL. I do not remember my first CD, but I remember my first tape. I was in the 7th grade and my twin sis and I went half on the tape. It was crazy cheap like 3 dollars a piece LOL. The tape was Guy's The Future. Nobody had it in our neightborhood. Of course everybody had to hold it and we have not seen it sense LMBO! I still have most of my tapes I bought in junior high and highschool. Sadly alot of my tapes have been stolen or lost. It still upsets me to think about it.

    I remember visiting NYC in the summer growing up and I wanted to go back home to Oklahoma City with new music. So I would record free styles on the radio. I recorded exclusives records that was played for the first time. I lived for those moments. Yes, those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The almighty cassette tape. Technology sure has a way of referencing your age or better yet, your generation. I can remember having to put tape over or stuffing the holes on the tops of pre-recorded tapes so you could have available tape to record he newest song you did not yet have on the afterschool rap attack!!!!! I just young teen /young adults could feel the adrenaline of doing that just to have new music> no downloading from the computer, just cellophane tape and a tape deck on your radio!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natasha: those moments of recording NYC radio were priceless. That feeling can never be replaced. To go back with new music????!! What?? That was IT.

    lclark55: you killed me with the tape and the "stuffing holes".....ABSOLUTELY.

    ReplyDelete