Monday, May 24, 2010

(E-) Record digging & (Hard Drive) Space


Many know what I speak of here. The days of looming excitement surrounding an upcoming trip to Goodwill, flea markets, and old mom & pop stores in search of old records have gone the way of the dinosaur. In turn, tons of hard drive space is being consumed by .rar files-turned-folders that possess either: 1) things we haven't heard, or 2) gems that we have on vinyl but require a digital conversion. Nothing in this world can take the place of vinyl, and I pray that God blesses me with the space and time to create a world for my collection. I would absolutely love to thank all of those who have taken the time to convert these pieces, personally.....even with the skips, crackles, and pops.  However, I am now beginning to catalog all of these digital files, and that is a task in itself. I can only hope that I will be allowed that same luxury when it comes to the vinyl collection. As true b-boys, we have established an attachment to tons of things that take up lots of physical space.....while attempting to stay relevant by having a matching digital copy. Only WE are challenged with that. Another unique characteristic about our generation.

2 comments:

  1. Now you can mix your vinyl desires with travel. Europe and Japan are still in the stone age and you can shop to your hearts content in Zurich, UK and Tokyo. Check out these summer festivals...like North Sea Jazz or Montreaux. You will be surprised at what you find and how much fun you'll have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to be able to do that in my travels. That has always been a desire that will turn into a reality sooner than later. Thank you for the heads up on the info!

    ReplyDelete