Monday, May 24, 2010

Post Won.






Greetings. This is the first of my attempt to create, and use this medium as a form of expression, and as a tool of connecting. Specifically, connecting with those like-minded individuals who share similar experiences as a gracefully "aging" b-boy. In all honesty, I considered calling this the "Intellectual B-Boy", but felt that that title is very exclusionary, and has slight hints of elitism. Therefore, anyone can be considered the CONSUMATE b-boy based on the meshing of their talents, experiences, ideas, etc. It has always been agreed upon that b-boying is a way of life, i.e. how you put your shoes on, how you carry yourself, etc.

This idea came about while traveling this weekend. I am moving to the west coast in less than a month, and decided to pay a visit to my homies on the east coast north of VA. These are the same cats who used to move as a unit, as we were the Da Dozenz (which was Dirty Dozenz, but did not want to conflict with Em's crew).....see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2EeCTGf-hQ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrmDiQvSSFM

While visiting, it occurred to me that our love and passion for hip-hop NEVER, EVER, dies. Naturally, a large portion of our convos are recalling events from the past, and reflecting on the lives of those who we lost along the way. However, we tend to still either: 1) listen and/or talk about the state of hip-hop, or in this day and age- 2) WATCH what hip-hop is doing visually. I chuckled internally because in the midst of it, I thought.....every time we get together like this, we do (pretty much) the same things, but the technology changes. AND, we've gotten a bit older.

Let's not take for granted that we are pioneers as we are the first of our kind to experience hip-hop and its evolution the way that we do. We are products of the golden era, and we all made our attempts at becoming a part of the industry. If you don't possess these characteristics, and you found your way to this blog, I encourage you to follow along if you consider yourselves as being students of the culture.

2 comments:

  1. I came across this blog from Malice on twitter. Sense I was little I have always LOVED hip-hop. You are right your LOVE for music never dies. The blessing is the memories and the moments in hip-hop that we lived to see will last forever in our hearts. That is what I am the most thankful for. I am excited about your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Natasha! I'm excited to be able to share these memories, thoughts, etc.....and hope it serves as a contribution to preserve the pure part of the culture. And hopefully generate some discussion.

    ReplyDelete